Petite Tapestry Weaving Workshop (half day) at Ivy House Inn
Spend the day in one of Lunenburg’s most beautifully restored homes turned inn, the chic boutique inn at Ivy House while you unleash your creativity and immerse yourself in the rhythmic, calming flow of tapestry weaving. This 3.5 hour weaving course, led by House of Woolly Thyme's textile artist and teacher Mary Anne Donovan, gently guides you into the world of modern weaving. No previous weaving or fibre craft experience is necessary to create your own unique handwoven wall hanging.
The frame loom weaving techniques covered in this course will bring you from start to completion of a uniquely designed wall hanging, made from natural fibres by your own hands. Topics covered include:
- warping your loom
- several weaving stitches including the tabby stitch, soumak stitch, hemstitch and more
- tension tips
- designing and creating simple shapes
- finishing and hanging techniques
Workshop fee includes a complete Little Penny Weaving kit. Weaving kit contents include:
- locally crafted Little Penny loom
- 12 page coloured weaving instruction manual
- wooden weaving comb
- wooden dowel
- curated fibre pack (4 mini skeins of yarn in various natural fibres and textures as well as 1 bump of wool roving)
- 2 tapestry needles
- spool of cotton warp thread (enough for at least 2 tapestry weavings)
- embroidery scissors
- Nova Scotia beach combed driftwood dowel
Workshop date: Saturday, September 24 (2:30 pm to 6:00 pm)
Location: Ivy House Inn, 40 Prince Street, Lunenburg
You will receive your weaving kit at the workshop. Choose a colour palette option and add to your art to proceed with registration.
No refunds will be issued for cancellations made by participants less than 48 hours prior to workshop.